Who is She? 彼女はどこですか。

Hello Everybody! みんなさん、こんにちは!

My name is Mary. I've been studying Japanese for around five years now. In this time I've had a lot of opportunities to work with the language and the people who speak it. When I was a sophomore, I was lucky enough to be attending Valley Vista HS when we hosted the Kakehashi Project, a Japanese exchange program that brought Japanese students to our school for a week. During that time, I and other students learning Japanese chaperoned the Japanese students around the school and our classes and translated for them in real time (to be honest though, it was more like Japanglish). Me and my student, Yuka-chan, became good friends and emailed back and forth for a long time, she has since been busy with college and I haven't heard from her in a long time.

My hobbies are drawing and playing the piano. I've been drawing all my life (and LOVE it) and played the piano for my jazz band senior year. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays and inspired my love for cosplay and interest in occult-like things such as tarot cards.

As far as goals, I have three of them. I really REALLY want to finish school (but I have a bit to go still). I'm striving to finish school so I can go right back to the classroom, just on the other side of the desk. I want to teach Japanese at the high school level to share the language and culture the way my Japanese teachers did to me. I also got my first translation gig ever! It's both scary and exciting, but I got the opportunity to translate a short RPG Maker game and it's my goal to finish it this year (hopefully it doesn't take me that long but school takes up a lot of my time). My third and final goal is kinda embarrassing, but I need to learn to drive. I've been getting better at it but getting my license would give me way more freedom in my schedule.

The last part of this post I will use to explain the name of my blog, "マリーちゃんのBubble".
「マリー」is the Japanese phonetic translation of my name, Mary. Following my name is the word 「ちゃん」(pronounced "chan") is a honorific that is attached to my name to signify that I am friendly with you, the audience and there is no English translation. The last part written in Japanese is 「の」(pronounced "no"), which is the particle that signifies possession. More or less, の is like adding the apostrophe "S" to a word or someone's name in English. So all together, the title translates into "Mary's Bubble".

Sorry that this post is so long! I look to posting here and getting to know all of you!
Bye-Bye! じゃーね!

Comments

  1. Great start. Your enthusiasm regarding the Japanese language is apparent and engaging.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts